question

newuser-55657985-caf1-4ef9-8304-309f21930b7f avatar image

Connecting wipro bulb with my own smart home alexa skill

I made my own smart home skill that has Alexa.PowerController interface. I also made lambda function to handle requests and responses. But I need to check that skill really works with light bulb or not? I have Wipro smart bulb. I have it's endpointId, IP, and MAC address. I tried to put same endpointID in my lambda function, but that doesn't work. What should I do to make a connectivity between Wipro smart bulb and AWS lambda function?

alexaalexa smart homesmart homedevice tester
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

Hi. Alexa smart home skills do not directly interact with smart home devices. Smart home devices are controlled by the manufacturer's "device cloud" and Alexa smart home skills allow device manufacturers to provide a voice interface to send commands to their device clouds which then reach out to the devices in question.

Typically then, this means that only manufacturers of a certain brand of devices are able to make smart home skills to control said devices. One possible exception would be if the device manufacturer provides customers with API programmatic access to their device cloud. That's a question that would need to be directed to the device manufacturers though, in this case Wipro.

Our "How the Smart Home Skill API Works" documentation also provides a very good visual overview for reference:
https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/smarthome/understand-the-smart-home-skill-api.html#how-the-smart-home-skill-api-works

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.