question

newuser-00b272f5-6bb3-4843-a2b2-05f1f3405059 avatar image

In Skill Purchase Content Rejected for a skill that has been in the store for 2 years

My skill has been in the store for about 2-years now https://www.amazon.com/app316-com-Your-Morning-Coffee-Music/dp/B07DPRHJ79. It has approximately 200 unique users per month. I recently added a premium version of the skill (I have a full paid license for the music). Amazon rejected the in-skill version of the skill "The content included in your skill is currently unsupported by the service." After contacting support, they gave me the same boilerplate answer--virtually no explanation for why I am unable to monetize this skill.

This lack of transparency is VERY CONCERNING. You could spend a lot of money developing a skill only for Amazon to reject it without giving a valid reason. I have another skill that was recently rejected with a similar copy-and-paste "reason."

There are several skills in the store that offer in-app purchases for premium music content (i.e. all of the sleep sound skills). Is Amazon closing off this opportunity to new skills?

I've never made a dime from Alexa Skills, so I was excited to learn of the possibility through ISPs to finally monetize a skill that has proven to be useful to a lot of people.

Even Apple will jump on the phone with you to explain why they are rejecting an app. I asked Amazon several times to call me so I could understand why they were not allowing me to monetize my skill--each time they copy and paste the same response.

I am not demanding for my skill to be allowed to use ISPs, but how can we as devs build anything of significance when Amazon refuses to be transparent about their guidelines?

skillsmonetizationcontentcontact us
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Zenon@Amazon avatar image
Zenon@Amazon answered

Hello,

Thank you for posting on our forum! In-skill purchasing service is still relatively new to Alexa, and we are slowly opening up what types of content we support through the service.

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. I will let our internal team know of your concerns.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-00b272f5-6bb3-4843-a2b2-05f1f3405059 avatar image
newuser-00b272f5-6bb3-4843-a2b2-05f1f3405059 answered

Thanks, net@amazon but this type of content is already supported. Amazon lists skills like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXQXW3G?ref=skillrw_dsk_tens__0 as "Top Skills." Are you claiming there are no skills that offer premium content similar to mine?

As I mentioned, the main problem is that Amazon refuses to give detailed reasons as to why the content is not supported--this should be a MAJOR red flag to anyone who is thinking about spending time and money developing on your platform.

10 |5000