question

vvv avatar image
vvv asked

How does alexa recommend a skill to user?

This is a question coming from someone who is new to this.

I understand users can search for skills or for the functionality they are looking for, as keywords in skill store. But most people using alexa will be using it from one of the echo devices right and because of that reason they won't be searching in skill store as such.

So, for example, if a user asks a question like, 'suggest me a bedtime story' and if alexa can't answer that question without help of any skill, alexa will end up suggesting a skill for the user to try right? On what basis does this suggestion happen?

Skills with highest rating or anything like that?

alexa skills kitalexa voice servicealexa
4 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rokas avatar image Rokas newuser-df9224f2-7368-4104-95aa-aa2543d5a49d ·

I don't think there is a straight forward answer to that and amazon won't share those details either, but my guess is that skills are picked by rating, retention, usage and other metrics. As I said, I have no data to prove this, because there is none.

0 Likes 0 ·

Now on top of this, in alexa app whenever I say 'open <skill name>', it is going to search that phrase is Google Play Store!

Any idea why?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

newuser-df9224f2-7368-4104-95aa-aa2543d5a49d avatar image
newuser-df9224f2-7368-4104-95aa-aa2543d5a49d answered

I think you can use a can fullfill intent request, but that is all I have got. Say a user asks for a bedtime story, if you have can fullfill intent request enabled, there is a chance that your skill may be picked.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.