question

Quang N avatar image
Quang N asked

Does my skill get automatically updated

Hi Guys

I've had a look through many other posts but can't seem to find the correct / up to date answer.

I'd like to make a breaking change to my app (change the underlying Lambda ARN's being used) and remove the old ones, however, before doing so I'd like to confirm when and how a skill gets updated on the Alexa devices? i.e. does the skill automatically update, or is it similar to the play / apple store, where the user needs to initiate the update manually?

I obviously don't want to remove the old Lambda's unless the app gets automatically updated on release to live.

If this is done from the users side, could you please explain, how from the Amazon Alexa app this is achieved (I tried having a look and there's nothing obvious).

Thanks in advnace

alexa skills kitalexa voice servicealexaupdateask-sdk
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Rokas avatar image
Rokas answered

When you are certifying there are two choices: make skill go live right after cert or decide yourself when you want to release it.

When you pass cert, if you picked first option, your skill goes live as soon as it passes cert and users will start calling this 'new' skill and its endpoints. They don't need to do any manual updates, this will be done automatically.

So basically, when it passes cert and it goes live, users instantly start using latest version, without them even noticing anything.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.