question

newuser-aa7d0424-0554-4bbb-8ab9-9ba1fc6b6a42 avatar image

Detect smart home group of requesting device

Hi All!

I am new to Alexa smart home skill developing and i'm struggeling with the following:

I have several echo dots in different rooms, every dot is in it's own smart home group, let's say one in the "kichen" group and one in the "office" group.

Can an Alexa skill lambda function tell in which smart home group the requesting device is?

Cheers!

Robert.

smart homerequestsmart home groups
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hi,

thanks for your post.

The group information is not part of the smart home Directives that your lambda function receives: the only identifiers are the AccessToken and the endpointId.

I'd suggest posting this as a feature request in Uservoice for Alexa over here.

However, from the Alexa side, if you put a light bulb and the Echo Dot in the same group, asking to turn on the light to the latter device will light up the lights of the group it belongs to.

Kind regards,
Gaetano

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-eb57d481-095f-4578-8794-5510b7ce3ded avatar image
newuser-eb57d481-095f-4578-8794-5510b7ce3ded answered

@Gaetano@Amazon I don't believe this is correct. I have a "guest room" and "family room" groups, and each has a "ceiling fan" and "lights" grouped with the respective echo device. If I'm in the guest room and I say turn on the lights, the family room lights turn on. If I open the Alexa app and go to the guest room and punch the lights button, the guest lights turn on. Support told me device groups don't work this way, they're only meant to turn on or off a group of devices together.

1 comment
10 |5000

Hi,

I would suggest following up with the Alexa customer support on this manner.

But I can ensure you that on the lambda side of the smart home skill, the information about the group is not sent.

Thanks,
Gaetano

0 Likes 0 ·