question

InnovationLab avatar image
InnovationLab asked

Update the current Smart Home skill's settings on the Alexa app?

Hello, I added an API Gateway trigger to my lambda and I am able to send a POST to my Smart Home lambda . My lambda is setup so that when it receives the outside call, it sets some values of my Smart Home device.

My question is: when my lambda changes the devices settings, how do I reflect the change in the Alexa app? (In addition, my lambda handles all the Alexa requests as well.) Does the outside service also need to send a ChangeReport to the Alexa gateway to update the Alexa app even though the Lambda is one that changed the settings? Or, can the lambda send an ReportState to itself so that the Alexa app reflects the current settings? Thank you

alexa skills kitalexa smart homesmart homenodejs
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered

Hi,

thanks for posting.

The ReportState is a request that Alexa will send to your lambda, and requires a StateReport as response.

I would suggest you handling this "external" interaction via an AddOrUpdateReport. Please check the following reference for further information.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/smarthome/how-to-proactively-manage-endpoints.html

Kind regards,
Gaetano

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.