question

cameronezell avatar image
cameronezell asked

Qualifying for Alexa Developer Rewards

It seems like Amazon has purposefully tried to hide the numbers required to qualify for Alexa Developer Rewards, but I'm wondering why? And is there anyone who's able to provide even a broad, general idea of what "high customer engagement" looks like in terms of numbers? It's hard to justify spending more free time adding features to my existing skills without knowing if I'm anywhere close to that goal or if I should pursue other ideas instead.

Alexa Rewards
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Rokas avatar image
Rokas answered

Nobody knows those numbers, only one team in amazon does. From what I gathered it seems to be a mix of amount of sessions, their lengths and skill reviews, but I don't know exact numbers.

My suggestion would be to focus on ISPs (if your locale supports it), because developer rewards last year were cut quite a bit. You can read more about it in this article: here. Especially 'WHAT IS BEHIND THE $13 MILLION REVENUE SHORTFALL?' paragraph.

Now, making money on alexa is not as easy as it was before. Anyhow, good luck.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Most likely they fell short because of how they treat their developers. Remember when all we got were T-Shirts?

And now allowing skill names to be duplicated and the functionality, why even release a skill if it's just going to be stolen / taken over by someone else. Good developers have moved on. Silly skills like the "Through the magic door" have somehow made it to the top. Pathetic.

0 Likes 0 ·
erictart avatar image
erictart answered

Won't matter anyway, because they allow skill names to be Duplicated, and the ideas to be copied. Don't count on this as any sort of reliable revenue source. Echo skills developers have been screwed since day 1.

newuser-6991e940-93ac-433e-bf7a-e14a799f00e5 avatar image
newuser-6991e940-93ac-433e-bf7a-e14a799f00e5 answered

Very good question - I'm also wondering how my skill is actually earning me money. All I see is the monthly payout total. Is there no other breakdown to be accessed anywhere by the skill developer?