question

cadamo avatar image
cadamo asked

Turning on/off a thermostat within a group does not seem to work

Hi there.

So I have two groups (office and bedroom), each group with a unique echo and thermostat linked to it (office air conditioner and bedroom air conditioner).

If I issue "Set the temperature to X degrees", Alexa correctly modifies the setpoint depending on which echo received the command.

Now, when I issue the command "turn on the air conditioner", it responds with the phrase that more than one device names "air conditioner" exists, and I have to specify "office air conditioner".

Is this the expected behaviour? Is there a way to specify Alexa to assume that we are referring to the only device with that name associated with that group/echo?

Thank you!

thermostatgroupspowercontroller
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Anand@Amazon avatar image
Anand@Amazon answered

Hello there,

If you interact with Alexa device which is already from that group than you don't have to remember device name you can easily with below utterances.

“Alexa, turn on lights.” 
“Alexa, turn off lights.” 
“Alexa, set temperature to 19 degrees.” 
“Alexa, what is the thermostat temperature?”

But if you are interacting with Alexa device which is out of this group then you have to remember each device name.

In your case it looks like you have one device which is added in both the groups.

Can you share screenshot with us for further debugging?

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.