question

dbfoxtw avatar image
dbfoxtw asked ·

Control AVS device with custom skill directly

Hi all,

I'm integrating Alexa into my own device with AVS Device SDK. While I can ask date, weather, anything Alexa built-in could do, I want to add device-specific custom action, like: turn left / right, turn on red light, do a barrel roll...

I read ASK document and found that seems like there is no way to respond custom directive directly back to the device. I have to use AWS Lambda parse request, send result to a cloud message queue, my device fetch data from the queue, then finally do device-specific action itself.

Am I correct? Or it's there a way to shorten the whole process?

Thanks.

devicescustom interfaces
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered ·

From a technical perspective, the endpoint on a custom skill can perform whatever actions you like - this is assuming that you actually enter the skill session by invoking the skill. As such, we don't have any specific ideas to interface directly with AVS devices as it depends on the infrastructure that you decide to implement, but the floor is open to anyone who might have more ideas!

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.