question

exonintrendo avatar image
exonintrendo asked

Nodes with multiple parents

Apparently this is an extremely dangerous thing to do unless I'm completely missing something. Lets say I have " foo.txt" which is a text file and it exists inside of "/Documents". If I use the "addChild" REST call to add " foo.txt" to another folder, let's say "/Bar", then " foo.txt" has 2 parent IDs: "/Documents" node and "/Bar" node. If I then delete "/Bar" (and permanently delete via the web interface), then " foo.txt" ultimately gets deleted completely from "/Documents" as well. This process seems to take a minute or 2 to remove the reference, but it will get deleted nonetheless. I feel like if a node has multiple parents and one of those parents is deleted, then the node should simply lose the reference to the one parent and then be associated with the remaining parent. Am I wrong in assuming this? Given the current behavior, I feel like having a node exist under multiple parents is extremely dangerous and I really don't see the point.
amazon drive
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rambalac avatar image
rambalac answered
IMHO multiple parents were designed for sharing folders (not shared folders), not for multiple usual folders. Anyway it's pretty useless for usual folders as file name will be the same everywhere. Files can be added to sharing folders in API V2 which is not publicly available yet if even ever will be.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered
Hi exonintrendo, Thanks for posting! We will need a little more information and details. Please specify the explicit list of calls you are trying to make. For example, when you say "delete", do you mean a DELETE request to a child_id, a PUT request to move a node to the trash, etc? Thanks!
10 |5000