question

newuser-4e0146f4-a133-4dc6-b593-57b46c5e160f avatar image
newuser-4e0146f4-a133-4dc6-b593-57b46c5e160f asked ·

I get an error from responseBuilder.speak when I use accented characters in visual studio code but it's working fine when I'm working online.

I'm new to Alexa dev, I made my first steps online and all was very good and fun but then, I wanted to be able to debug my skill faster so I installed visual studio code and everything needed (ngrok ask-cli ask-core-sdk and so on) .
Debug is working fine and I can step into my skill to debug it which is great.
What I can't do is to use accented character in spoken responses.
Which is a shame since I'm French and write my skills in that language first.
For example, this code :

return handlerInput.responseBuilder.speak('canapé').getResponse();

Will produce an error like that :
"request":{"type":"SessionEndedRequest","requestId":"amzn1.echo-api.request.731da354-c9ae-4e0c-b1bc-714d01c01ea0","timestamp":"2019-12-17T01:26:32Z","locale":"fr-FR","reason":"ERROR","error":{"type":"INVALID_RESPONSE","message":"An exception occurred while dispatching the request to the skill."}

Removing the accent will also remove the error.
If I deploy the skill and change the endpoint with the arn of the aws lambda function, then it works with the accents ...

it must be a problem of character encoding from my side but I can't seem to find any solutions.

I'm working on linux 5.4.2 Manjaro.

Can someone help me ? I've been struggling with this for a few days ... I've created different skills to test this in different ways but they all produce the same error, except when the lambda function is hosted online.

Thanks.

alexa skills kitdebugginglambdaVisual Studio Code
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anand@Amazon avatar image
Anand@Amazon answered ·

Hello there,

You can use localization interceptor in your skill to provide content based on request region.

Check this link to learn more in details.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mvitor avatar image
mvitor answered ·

Hi NewUser-4e0146f4-a133-4dc6-b593-57b46c5e160f ,

Have you found a fix for this issue ?