question

newuser-a7b0db83-bc36-4706-bd00-659df955612b avatar image

Alexa's voice response to Smart Home Skill

I followed the example in the documentation and implemented the Power Control API with a node.js Lambda function. The Smart Home skill I created for turning device on and off is working fine with my smart light switch. However, it seems odd that:

1. Alexa does NOT respond with "OK". It only responded with a two tone sound. Is this normal?

2. I read from another thread saying that the "Output Speech" cannot be customized with Smart Home Skill. Is that still true?

3. When I test it in the Alexa Developer Console, the "Skill I/O" section doesn't show the JSON request/response at all. On top, I only see it displaying "<Audio only response>". Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

responsesmart homepowercontroller
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered
1. Alexa does NOT respond with "OK". It only responded with a two tone sound. Is this normal?

This is the result of a user customization setting in the Alexa app called "Brief Mode." This is found under Settings > Voice Responses. If you enable this option then yes, it's expected that your device will respond with a two-tone sound.

2. I read from another thread saying that the "Output Speech" cannot be customized with Smart Home Skill. Is that still true?

Yes, this is still correct. Smart Home skills do not allow developers to customize Alexa's verbal responses.

3. When I test it in the Alexa Developer Console, the "Skill I/O" section doesn't show the JSON request/response at all. On top, I only see it displaying "Audio only response". Is this normal?

It's normal that the "Skill I/O" section is blank for a smart home skill. However, if in the left-hand side the only response you're getting is "audio only response" then it can mean a few things.

It could be that the request didn't resolve the the skill in question (the "Test" tab's responses are not limited to the one skill you're attempting to test). It could be a browser issue, like an add-on interfering with the console or having multiple tabs open on the "Test" page has also been known to cause trouble. It could also be because local software is interfering with the simulator, for example an anti-virus.

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/153911/issue-when-running-test-of-skill-in-new-alexa-cons.html

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-a7b0db83-bc36-4706-bd00-659df955612b avatar image
newuser-a7b0db83-bc36-4706-bd00-659df955612b answered

Turning off Brief Mode indeed fixes both #1 and #3. Thanks.

10 |5000