question

newuser-b05fd152-e6fd-403a-b1d6-1462f9b6e1f9 avatar image
newuser-b05fd152-e6fd-403a-b1d6-1462f9b6e1f9 asked ·

Feature request Fire Stick Volume control.

HI, I think it would be helpful if Amazon included a toggle option to allow volume control to happen via the Firestick (lowering HDMI volume, via radio signal) instead of the TV (via IR).

The feature could be toggled of via the settings menu (presumably under the Remotes heading)

What would be the advantage for this?

1- If your TV does not have a supported IR Codes, this would allow you to still control the volume using the remote (controlling HDMI volume output).

2- If you have 1 fire TV is connected to multiple TVs (via an HDMI splitter), you could control volume even if the TVs all have different IR codes (currently even if I have multiple remotes in different rooms, they are all loaded with the same IR codes, so only TVs with the same IR codes can be controlled, I wish you could make it each remote gets programmed with its own IR codes since I have a remote in each room with a TV but can only use it for TV power/volume in one room)

3- If the kids (or others) are watching TV too loud in another room, it can be muted from another room using either the Fire TV remote app or a secondary remote, so that they can hear you call out.

4. If you are using it to play music, you can adjust the volume of the music from a different room.

I am sure there could be other benefits, but I figure these 4 are enough to get the point across.

I figure this is not a major modification request and could easily be accomplished.

Thanks

fire tvfeature request
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Stewart avatar image
Stewart answered ·

I've been using numerous android TV boxes over the years with a monitor and built in speakers fed via HDMI or line-in. Even those crap no-name boxes supported volume control at the OS level. I thought I'd done my due dillegence on this device (supports all the apps I need, lack of USB solved with a hub, etc.).

It turns out there are lots of people asking about this all over the internet (reddit is a good place to start).

Could someone from amazon confirm whether this is a hardware issue or if a future firmware update could resolve it?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dave23572 avatar image
Dave23572 answered ·

I would like to acho this feature request.

Many HMDI devices have different volume outputs but most of them have their own internal volume control so you can equalise them so they give the same volume for any given TV volume setting. However the Firestick does not, it's volume level is fixed and it's remote adjusts the TV master volume which then becomes wrong for your other HDMI devices.

I would have thought this should be a fairly easy to implement future software update.

Yeup avatar image
Yeup answered ·

"Mute" would also be very desirable.

newuser-f4f3b47e-f8a4-4b15-922a-d7edb88a992a avatar image
newuser-f4f3b47e-f8a4-4b15-922a-d7edb88a992a answered ·

I agree. I am needing this feature since the first Fire stick came out.

FerSB avatar image
FerSB answered ·

I need this as well, can't control volume on the FireStick attached to my 22" monitor!!

Very Important, all media player should have this considered