question

Seb avatar image
Seb asked

Filtering out non-US users

If I understood correctly, MAA is only available for users living in the US (or more exactly with a shipping address in the US?) I noticed that we cannot rely on the getServiceStatus() of the API to determine if a user is eligible or not, because a French user (for instance), using the FR market, will still be shown the Product Preview Popover without any error. [b]Question 1:[/b] What happens when this French user wants to buy the product? (is he taken to amazon.fr?is the commission on the purchase not validated? ) [b]Question 2:[/b] Does Amazon API provide a solution to determine whether or not the user is living in the US? I obviously don't want to show any product catalog to users who won't be able to buy the products. If not, what would be the best practice to detect these users? (IP localization?)
mobile associates
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

androiddev1234 avatar image
androiddev1234 answered
I too have a similar question. Amazon support - please advise.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Thank you both for writing to us. Question 1: What happens when this French user wants to buy the product? (is he taken to amazon.fr?is the commission on the purchase not validated? ) Answer: We have launched the MA API for the US market at this time. For the French user in this use case, he will be taken to amazon.com and not amazon.fr. Any purchases made by the customer on amazon.com will be attributed to the app developer, while it would not be attributed if the customer switched over to amazon.fr for the same product. Question 2: Does Amazon API provide a solution to determine whether or not the user is living in the US? I obviously don't want to show any product catalog to users who won't be able to buy the products. If not, what would be the best practice to detect these users? (IP localization?) Answer: The MA API does not provide a solution at present to determine the country (geo-location granular at the country level) of the user. We do not have a recommendation on this.
10 |5000