question

Philip avatar image
Philip asked

Private Skill Room Parameter in Alexa for Business and Alexa for Hospitality

While going through the documentation for Alexa for Hospitality (AfH), I saw that there was a way to add an optional parameter to rooms. I noticed that this was also available in Alexa for Business (AfB). I suspect AfH is based on AfB. I assume this parameter is passed to the skill when an intent is called.

I have written a custom private skill hosted on my own server using the ASK SDK for Node.js and set it up on one AfH account and one AfB account. Neither seems to allow me to "edit" the skill as described by the AfH and AfB documentation. My best guess is that my skill needs to define the parameter somewhere to allow them to be set in the AfH and AfB consoles. I checked the Alexa Developer Console and didn't find a place to do this. The closest I found was where to define scope, but that requires account linking, which is not available to me at this point.

Does anyone know anything about this? How do I enable the room parameters for Alexa for Hospitality and Alexa for Business?

nodejsskillsalexa for businessask sdk
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered

Hello @Philip and thank you for your interest.

You are right in that Alexa for Hospitality is part of the Alexa for Business suite. However, it does not use the ASK SDK, but a different SDK that is not supported in this channel.

You can find more information about Alexa for Business over at their FAQ and get support for it at the AWS Developer Forums.

Regards,
Barry

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Milo Oostergo avatar image
Milo Oostergo answered

Alexa for Business provides an additional API in the AWS SDK that you can call from your skill. This API will return the A4B room name from where the voice request was made and any parameters specified in the skill configuration.

More information on the API https://docs.aws.amazon.com/a4b/latest/APIReference/API_ResolveRoom.html

In the Alexa for Business console you can set the parameter for the skill in the room details. I'm not sure how AfH exposes the parameter.

-Milo

10 |5000