question

Nata avatar image
Nata asked ·

Feedback for Merch Team: Returns

A Merch Support Associate prompted me to post this feedback here...

Also, before I get to that... fellow forum users, please engage with these types of posts that are focused on improving our user experience as content creators on the MBA platform. If you read but don't comment it will just fall by the wayside and Merch definitely won't take it seriously as something that needs to be addressed and then nothing will ever change. So please engage. Voice your opinion. I've noticed very few people actively support those posts that are asking for improvements to our user experience. and no excuses that it doesn't matter they won't change anything!

Merch:
Please pass this on to the appropriate people. I feel really frustrated with the limited feedback we receive as a content creator. Amazon makes money off our hard work yet won't give us the feedback we need to assure continued quality control. Returns cost Amazon money and they add to an environmental footprint. You would think Amazon would want to do what they can to prevent this and assure that their customers receive quality products. Allowing content creators to receive feedback when a customer is not happy, for whatever variety of reasons, would support that quality assurance. Yes, I understand that the reasons for returns vary, however, if it is a problem on our end we deserve to know why so It can be addressed. The print on demand industry operates differently than traditional retail because we don't have the means to see the end product before it is put out into the world. I can't afford to order "test copies" of every design. Unless Amazon wants to start making that financially affordable to do so. Like offering one shirt per design for the creator at the base cost (no profit for amazon). Otherwise, I can't afford to buy test copies at $13 a pop, just to make sure everything is solid and ready to launch. That's why we rely on feedback from customers if they are dissatisfied.

Either that or prompt customers to leave reviews more aggressively. Because in the 1.5 years of selling on Merch By Amazon, I've only had 5 reviews. FIVE. I have products that have sold repeatedly and consistently during that entire time... yet no one has ever left a review on them. It's very frustrating. Then when I get a return but no review either.. I have no idea what to think.. does something need to be addressed with the design? I don't know... I'm totally in the dark. Like I said I care about the quality of my work and I want feedback so the output quality can continue to be better and better.

merch by amazon
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ScottFromWyoming avatar image
ScottFromWyoming answered ·

I've asked for this a couple of times. If it's a non-design-related issue (wrong size, halloween shirt rental, etc.) they can just tell us that. If the complaint was "design too big, too washed out, printed weird" etc. that is good information that we can act on.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nata avatar image
Nata answered ·

Agree, When I wrote the support associates they replied that there were no plans to share that information with us in the future. Which is stupid.

Nata avatar image
Nata answered ·

If the design itself has issues that information is super valuable to know so we can correct it and take that product off the market. That way there are not continued returns, which again costs amazon money.. and adds to the environmental footprint.

I've only ordered 1 shirt of mine ever... and I was not happy to see that it did not look like what I thought it was gonna look like. The issue with that design was addressed in the new and updated Best Practices which was really helpful for Merch to put together for us. (I think the line was too thin and therefore had thin white border around it from the underlayer of white ink).
I'm sure there are numerous issues that could come up with a design.

My suggestions for Merch would be to either give us feedback on why a design was returned especially if there is a serious flaw, OR prompt more aggressively for customers to leave a review, OR make it affordable for us to order 1 test print.

They keep us in the dark though, and thats bad for business.

1 comment

You're not wrong. They have a liberal return policy so it may seem like a waste to try to gather the information, but if there's a typo in my design or people don't like the colors once they see it in person, I can't imagine a scenario where it's in Amazon's best interest to keep that information from me.

2 Likes 2 ·
Wyatt@Amazon avatar image
Wyatt@Amazon answered ·

We appreciate your feedback and are continually working to expand features for content creators. We will pass this on to our dev team for consideration. Thank you!.