question

Sverre avatar image
Sverre asked

Getting transcript from long voice input

Hi, I'm working on a project where I need users to be able to dictate some text to Alexa.

I need it to be able to take a paragraph of text (50 or so words) from the user, get a transcript out (or get 8-10 data points from the user input), and hopefully use the screen on an Alexa Show to let the user look over the text and modify it if necessary.

What I'm encountering is that Alexa lets me read the first sentence or two before interrupting me, and stopping the input.

Is this even possible to do with Alexa? If not, I'm looking at getting the project done using AWS Transcribe.

alexa skills kitalexa voice servicealexa
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

Hi @Sverre. Alexa is not a voice to text transcription service but rather a personal assistant. As such, user utterances are limited to around 8 seconds. This is likely where Alexa is interrupting you as described.

Given your use case, I believe that AWS Transcribe would indeed be a better fit:
https://aws.amazon.com/transcribe/

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.