question

newuser-85ce409b-375e-45bb-ba74-7cf88f005d94 avatar image

Why alexa itself is taking care of the requests made in my skill

I have a skill where if the user asks "tell me about Bitcoin" or "Say me information about Bitcoin", Then the skill replies saying "You have asked about Bitcoin right! The symbol for Bitcoin is BTC". But when I am testing the skill and when I use the utterance "Say me information about Bitcoin", then alexa itself is taking care of the request and it is only giving the response like "Bitcoin is a digital asset and it is invented by satoshi". This is not I want, Alexa should go to my skill's backend and then according to the resolved slot value, the alexa should respond using my backend logic, not itself taking care.

This is so annoying, Is there any way to change this or please tell me how to resolve this issue

Please respond @Elizabeth@Amazon @Jamie@Amazon @KirKC@Amazon

alexa skills kitalexaalexa skills challengealexa listsalexa prize
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Rokas avatar image
Rokas answered

I suggest you to post your skill id so someone from amazon could take a look, but before that, how your skill is called? If you don't invoke your skill and alexa has built in response for your query, it will respond with built in query instead of yours. Things change only when you open your skill.

Let's say your skill is called 'crypto info' or smth. So to make alexa aware that you are asking info from your skill, you should invoke like this:

'alexa ask crypto info about bitcoin'

Another way would be of course to open the skills and then ask for info:

'alexa open crypto info'

alexa: 'how can I help you' <--- your skill response

'tell me about bitcoin'

This is the basic way how to invoke your skill.

You can read more about invoking the skill in the docs: here.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.