question

newuser-a7b5df86-072a-4f61-98f2-9ff8a39a8bd8 avatar image
newuser-a7b5df86-072a-4f61-98f2-9ff8a39a8bd8 asked ·

What Amazon devices support the Alexa Presentation Language

I have developed an Alexa skill (Strange New Worlds) and would liked to see it rendered on a large screen. A while back I bought a Fire TV Cube and found that it did not support the Alexa Presentation Language, which I use extensively in my skill. Is APL supported by the Fire Stick 4K? Better yet, is there a link anywhere that lists all the devices that support APL and the versions that they support, now that there is an APL version 1.1?

Thanks,

E. J.

alexa skills kitalexa presentation language
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gaetano@Amazon avatar image
Gaetano@Amazon answered ·

Hi,

thanks for posting on our forums.

Alexa Presentation Language is supported by all the Alexa Devices with screen.

Variants of Fire TV/Fire Stick are compatible as long as they are Alexa-enabled (You will see a microphone button on the remote).

Kind regards,
Gaetano

6 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

This may have been true when you wrote it, but definitely is not now. Amazon Fire Tablet 7 is not supported, for one. I know because i ordered a Fire 7 and tried to open my app only to get the "APL not supported" message.

We could really use a master list of Alexa devices that support APL. I'll ask a forum question and hopefully get an answer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

APL is supported in Echo Show mode, which is not supported by Echo Show 7s. You can find additional information here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G3JEMFDNH3FPB4XS

0 Likes 0 ·

I was able to get my APL-enabled skill to open on the Tablet 8 HD, but the screen remained completely blank (black). It works... but not really. (Skill is fine on Echo Show 5.)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
newuser-a7b5df86-072a-4f61-98f2-9ff8a39a8bd8 avatar image
newuser-a7b5df86-072a-4f61-98f2-9ff8a39a8bd8 answered ·

Hmm. This may have changed, but I bought (and returned) a Fire TV cube and system_state.device.supported_interfaces.alexa_presentation_apl was None in the input context. I just bought a Fire TV Stick 4K and it *does* support API. I can now view my skill on a big screen. Yeah!

Thanks,
E. J.