question

antsan813 avatar image
antsan813 asked

Forwarding IoT device data to API endpoint from Alexa

Amazon's Alexa technology is at a point where it can connect too many IoT devices that many smart hub's cannot do. All Alexa needs, is the ability to also collect each individual device data, and forward it to some sort of API, or even to an AWS database, where a developer's API can then access the information. The "Routine" concept is already there; just have another option to 'routinely' forward (or POST/PUT) data to a specified API endpoint when an already connected IoT device sends (POST/PUT) data to Alexa. If a forward to an external API fails, send a detailed error message instead.

If this is something that is currently already possible, please share.

alexaalexa smart homefeature requestroutines
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Interested in this too - does anybody have any insight into how this might be done?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

webtop avatar image
webtop answered

I just asked a question which I think is quite similar: I have about 10 devices so far in my home that Alexa controls. Now I want to create a dashboard to see state at-a-glance, which I can do easily enough, but why code it if Alexa can already do it?

If I write the code that the Alexa team has already written, we're breaking a lot of good developer practices.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.