question

Abishek VK avatar image
Abishek VK asked

How can I open a URL using alexa based on the user's question. I can able to create the URL and return to user when he asked something. But I couldn't open it. I am using python and Lambda.

alexa skills kitalexa voice servicealexalambdapython
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Abishek VK could you share me your code as a reference or share a guide how did you create code in lambda using python?

0 Likes 0 ·
KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

From the description provided, it sounds like you're trying to send a URL back to the skill user via a home card and would like that URL to be clickable. If that is indeed the case, currently, home cards do not support clickable URLs. Changing that functionality would be considered a feature request which as a developer, you can file in our UserVoice space:
https://alexa.uservoice.com/

That having been said, it looks like this functionality does now exist within Alexa Presentation Language (APL), which is currently in public beta. So, if you create a multi-modal skill that supports devices with a display then you can utilize APL's OpenURL command.

For more information about Alexa Presentation Language generally, the OpenURL command specifically and a sample Alexa skill that uses APL with the Python SDK, please see the documentation here:

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

In my case we don't need a clickable link here. Basically we trying to interact with tableau. So I created python script in lambda to generate a URL based on the user's query to Alexa. Now I want that URL to be opened in a new browser window automatically.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Abishek. I think the APL documentation above which mentions the OpenURL command might fit your use case.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-e631ad22-f8cd-4b54-bf8a-2857c0c727cd avatar image
newuser-e631ad22-f8cd-4b54-bf8a-2857c0c727cd answered

@KirkC@Amazon I am trying to use the OpenURL command but for some reason, it is working on the developer console but not on an Echo Show or a Fire TV. Do you happen to know why?

Followed the instructions from this link

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/alexa-presentation-language/apl-standard-commands.html#open_url_command

1 comment
10 |5000

Hi. To start, I'd recommend checking to make sure that your Echo Show is up to date. To do so, please see the documentation below:

If you're still noticing a discrepancy, please let us know by filing a contact us case here:

https://developer.amazon.com/support/contact-us?subjectCategory=ALEXA

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-cf998c96-eb0c-4fad-83c5-9ec5bf3f18f0 avatar image
newuser-cf998c96-eb0c-4fad-83c5-9ec5bf3f18f0 answered

@KirkC@Amazon I am trying to play a youtube video(URL) using the OpenURL command on an Echo Show. The youtube video (20 min video) is playing on a browser but it is not lasting more than 30 sec, it quits the skill and goes to the home screen. Is there a way that I can play the whole video and not get out of the skill?

1 comment
10 |5000

Try increasing the idleTimeout setting on the APL Document properties. I don't know if there is a limit.

{  "type": "APL",  "version": "1.1",  "settings": {    "idleTimeout": 120000  } }
0 Likes 0 ·