question

newuser-10249bf8-440b-420a-bb64-ffd4ac32014c avatar image

Can I access Individual device from group?

Example: I have 8 devices i configured 4 device in one group called hall and remaining 4 devices to kitchen group. now i want access device 1 from hall by saying "Alexa Turn on device 1 in hall'.I treid this but alexa saying no device named with device 1 hall.if i say Turn on hall its working fine but i want turn on only one device from hall group not all.

Thanks in Advance.

alexa smart hometext-to-speechsmart home groupsgroups
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

apeksha avatar image
apeksha answered

Hello there,

Controlling single device in the group is not supported. Groups are created to operate multiple devices. To use individual device you can just say "turn on <Device_Name>".

3 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for your info, appreciated it.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Apeksha@amazon i understood what u said but accessing device which is in group is mandatory to me. how can i acheive this, suggest bestway to do this.

0 Likes 0 ·
apeksha avatar image apeksha newuser-10249bf8-440b-420a-bb64-ffd4ac32014c commented ·

Hello there,

Accessing single device from "group" is not supported. If you wish to operate a single device then adding the device to group is not needed you can just control by saying "turn on device 1". Group are created to operate multiple devices and groups are from Alexa App side its not a part of smart home skill Api.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-eb57d481-095f-4578-8794-5510b7ce3ded avatar image
newuser-eb57d481-095f-4578-8794-5510b7ce3ded answered

This is a huge frustration for me as well. It's <adjective removed> non-AI to have to say turn off the master bedroom lights when one is in the master bedroom and the echo is grouped with the lights. Seems a simple and intuitive application of device grouping to say turn off the lights and have it prioritize matching within the group before looking at a wider scope for name matching but, alas, not yet ...

1 comment
10 |5000

Anand@Amazon avatar image Anand@Amazon ♦ commented ·

Hi there,

Correctly pointed out and good feedback. If possible please try to put these feedback on our Idea space for our internal teams to take a look.

You can post your idea to uservoice on this link.

0 Likes 0 ·