question

newuser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f avatar image
newuser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f asked ·

HOW ARE COUNTERFEITERS GETTING ACCESS TO MY MERCH BY AMAZON PRODUCT LISTINGS AND DATA?

The link below opens one listing that was stolen within the last 24 hours from Merch by Amazon. Dozens of listings have been stolen in the past month.

NOTE THAT I added the words "AUTHENTIC TIGO and SOPHIA PRODUCTS SOLD ONLY AT AMAZON" to all my listings YESTERDAY.

Now those words are appearing in a listing on a website that is NOT Amazon, which means this data was stolen almost immediately.

HOW ARE COUNTERFEITERS GETTING ACCESS TO MY MERCH BY AMAZON DATA? IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

https://binge.ae/product/O07I6744K7/tigo-and-sophia-celebrating-stem-black-zip-hoodie

In addition to this website, six others are advertising my TIGO and SOPHIA designs for sale without authorization: tontoncat.com, telemovies.xyz, fatherless.live, modety.xyz, teeseo.top, and jawia.xyz.

Although I have been very pleased with the quality of the service provided by Merch thus far, I am deeply concerned about the lack of data security, because intellectual property and potential royalties are being stolen along with the data.

merch by amazonroyalties
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f answered ·

Correction: "fathertees.live" not "fatherless.live"

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f answered ·

Correction: "teemovies.xyz" not "telemovies.xyz" Unwelcome auto-correct feature in play.

ArtistLady avatar image
ArtistLady answered ·

My designs were instantly appearing on similar websites, too. Some of these are affiliate links (United Arab Emirates), but others are flat-out thieves. I don't always know how to tell the difference, however. I filed DMCA notices to the companies, but it became overwhelming and I stopped. Would love to hear from other Merch creators about how they deal with this.

1 comment

@ArtistLady and @NewUser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f

I think there must be a universal legal recourse that will get the sites shut down. Maybe the U.S. Copyright and TM office will have this information. Maybe Google sources will take care of it? We had an illustrated book image in the past show up on Youtube and they took care of it and had it and the account removed. I doubt directly messaging them to remove the designs will ever work.

1 Like 1 ·
Tere avatar image
Tere answered ·

@ArtistLady and @ NewUser-c0425a86-1e1a-4378-8869-371e2e45255f

This is so shameful and wrong! Amazon should get moving and find out where the source of hacking is coming from. It is one thing to upload an image of the items from the website, it is a totally different thing when the needed PNG files are being hacked. If they are copying just the image off the screen he products would be horrible low quality prints. These sites need to be shut down! I don't know the steps to get this done but I am sure there is a way for copyright infringement. International too.

Social media for these sites who hacked the Amazon files would be a great red flag post for your viewers. Social media is a very powerful tool to get this kind of thing seen. People want to know who is stealing and won't patronize the company who is doing this.

I guess we all will eventually need to deal with this. : (

ScottFromWyoming avatar image
ScottFromWyoming answered ·

Take a deep breath and ask yourself how many shirts a site like "teemovies.xyz" is going to sell.

You can file a complaint with them and/or paypal, but it isn't worth the time.

2 comments

They must sell enough to keep doing what they are doing. It might not be worth the time, but it's the principle.

Report all thieves if you can find the time.

2 Likes 2 ·

You make a good point. Amazon is the best platform for our shirts, in my opinion -- and they have the best shipping/return policy. So we're probably best just creating shirts, and going forward. Sometimes a take-down notice is warranted, but for the most part, the pop-up shops shouldn't hurt us. I find a lot of my work on Teespring and Café Press, but way overpriced. I tell myself that most consumers will go directly to Amazon for the better deal.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-8cbb6d38-06d1-49a7-923d-b2ceee247f0b avatar image
newuser-8cbb6d38-06d1-49a7-923d-b2ceee247f0b answered ·

You all are talking about other websites, but are not aware that this thieves sell on Amazon platform too. You will be marveled by the number of your designs that were stolen and re-uploaded on Amazon by the "thief sellers". I care less about things happening outside Amazon, and have reported a lot to https://www.amazon.com/report/infringement. Stealing happen when any of your shirts starts to make sells; they will copy all your content (the title, bullet points, product description) except your brand name, and resell on Amazon at a cheaper, or the base, $13.07, price.

Indicators That Your Shirts Are Losing Sales To Their Counterfeits

• Drop in sales when the market is getting hot
  • Several returns

Drop In Sales

For seasonal Designs like the holidays, the market is usually hot as the event day approaches. The selling shirts are expected to see increase in sells within 2-3 weeks of the events. If your shirts are dropping in sales within this period, this is an indicator that there is an exact copy selling cheaper than yours.

Several Returns

This happens when someone buys your shirt and later see another shirt of the same design selling at a cheaper price. Nobody wants to pay a higher price, so your sells will start seeing cancellations because the buyers have seen the cheaper versions of your shirt designs.

How To See The Counterfeits

Copy the product title of your shirt, paste on the Amazon search bar and click the search button. Scroll through the page, and you will see the counterfeits. Do this from time to time, because their number increases as your sales increases. Do this for all the designs that have made sales before, the ones that are making sales and the ones that are dropping or have dropped in sales.

What To Do To Prevent Them From Taking The Market From You

The "Thief Sellers" are always on the look out for selling shirts and will not touch any design until it starts picking sales. So when you see a few sales like 5 to 10 on a shirt, there are chances that someone have stolen and re-uploaded a counterfeit at a cheaper price. So, it's best to start checking when you see a few sales.

When you spot them on time and report them immediately, Amazon will act before they make enough sells to get above you on the search results.

But if they have made lots of sales before you notice and report them, they will take the sales from you. This is because there is always a delay before Amazon acts. The delay could last up to 3 weeks, and you know what that means. In this case, as you are waiting for Amazon to act, they will be making the sales and also taking over from you on every keyword search result. By the time Amazon acts, the market will be almost over and you will be left with a few sells.

Amazon is never going to award you the proceeds from the stolen sells, so you are best left with whatever little that you get as a result, and it sucks.

IloveDOTGAIN avatar image
IloveDOTGAIN answered ·

The bigger question is: How are they getting the WORKING PNGs to our artwork? When you see your artwork for sales on sites like E T S Y, then don't wonder why you see them on all the others. These sales are taking from AMZ also, I don't understand why they don't care one bit.

It makes me wary of uploading to MBA, now that I have my own websites. I know I'm not alone. MBA is such a "battleship turning around" sometimes...

newuser-def6dd37-5bc1-4cf5-a9dc-3fd1b9c6d9d1 avatar image
newuser-def6dd37-5bc1-4cf5-a9dc-3fd1b9c6d9d1 answered ·

I noticed that someone is taking the exact T-shirt graphics (the design as an overlay on the Standard T-shirt that shows the T-shirt wrinkles and everything in their design image), and uploading them on another platform. As of today the user that’s doing this has 498 designs uploaded on that platform that appear to be from merch by Amazon. Looks like they are doing 50 a day.

I caught my design the other day and had that platform take it down. I reported it to both that platform and Merch by Amazon.

I wish I could help everybody who’s designs are sitting on that platform, stolen. It looks like they may have made some sales too. Since they are still allowed to upload, I have to watch them. They’ve uploaded 100 designs since I caught mine.