question

volkhin avatar image
volkhin asked ·

Receiving duplicated directives from Amazon Echo

Hi! I connected my gadget to the Echo device using Amazon Gadgets Toolkit and noticed that I'm receiving duplicated directives. For timeinfo (right after establishing a connection and passing through handshake) it can be even 6 times, for all other directives I receive them twice. They are coming as 2 separate RFCOMM/SPP packages (different sequence ids) so it looks like Echo is sending them twice. Any ideas why?

gadgets toolkit
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

caroline@amazon avatar image
caroline@amazon answered ·

@volkhin, do you still see this issue if you reboot the Echo device by unplugging / plugging back in? If so, can you confirm that (1) this is still happening well after the gadget has connected, (2) what type of Echo Device you are working with, and (3) if possible, the Echo Device firmware version you are working with. For #3, go to Device Settings-->About-->Device Software Version in the Alexa App. If you are working on a screen-based device, go to Settings-->Device Options-->Software Version

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered ·

Speaking with the Alexa Gadgets team said that it is possible to get multiple "timeinfo" directives containing the same value if they are sent fractions of milliseconds apart within the same second.

One plausible scenario that came to their mind was that Echo devices may send multiple "timeinfo" directives, when multiple Echo devices are connected to ensure all gadgets get the time information.

Next, to the question of recommended actions they suggested that gadgets can de-dupe the "timeinfo" value by keeping track of the most recent value received and comparing it to the incoming value to evaluate whether the incoming value is the same as the old (to the granularity of seconds) or whether the value has increased.