question

kevin.b avatar image
kevin.b asked

Phonic Recognition

Is it possible for Alexa to recognise when a user has said a phonic?

I am currently investigating how to build a skill that teaches children to read.

Phonics are a big part of teaching children to read. Here is a publication from the UK government on how to do that.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190599/Letters_and_Sounds_-_DFES-00281-2007.pdf

I created an prototype skill that had a model which looked for words that alexa recognised when a user said a phonic.

"name": "Phonics",
          "values": [
           {
              "name":{
                 "value":"buh",
                 "synonyms":[
                   "bark", "burp", "back", "or", "furh", "run"
                 ]
              }
           },

I essentially am hacking my way around a proper solution here and it won't recognise all phonics, eg. a "sssss" sound.

Would there be another way, instead of tricking alexa into recognising phonics, to accurately determine sounds / phonics a person is saying to alexa?

If there isn't would it be a feature Alexa would consider investigating?

alexa skills kitmodel
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered

Generally Alexa only looks towards recognizing various words as opposed to phonics. This is an interesting idea that you might want to post as a feature request in Uservoice for Alexa over here.

10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.