question

newuser-20f77537-5846-4bc5-b483-39f220b707c9 avatar image

Instagram Logo-can it be used on merch?

I'd like to add my instagram handle with the camera logo preceeding it on the back of tees to promote links to my merch. Is this allowed? I cannot find anything that says yes/no. I cannot find anything anywhere. Thanks in advanced.

merch by amazontutorial
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

FocusedOnResults avatar image
FocusedOnResults answered

Hello - I really don't think so as that logo belongs to Instagram. You may want to email Merch and ask them. When you receive a reply, I hope you'll update us in this forum :

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ScottFromWyoming avatar image
ScottFromWyoming answered

I am not a lawyer.

All of the various social media platforms (to my knowledge) allow and encourage this use. Prowl thru the IG site for specifics. Don't link to or encourage people to leave Amazon.com (don't say in your description, "visit instagram.com for more shirts"). On the actual shirt, I think you're fine.

https://buffer.com/library/social-media-logos

Note that it says to use the black and white icon for your purposes. The color logo is only for use if you're saying "dowload the app" ...

The real answer is here: Yes, you can use the logo. They require advance permission on certain things, it's debatable whether a shirt would fall under the category of "out-of-home advertising" or a "print larger than 8-1/2 x 11" so hey, apply for the permission and see what they say. But I would go ahead and use it, referring to that page as proof of licensed use.

Note that they specifically prohibit using the logo on a T-shirt, but my reading of it is "you can't do an Instagram shirt." Your use is different, and you would need to lead off your application with that information. You need to apply for each shirt design.

At this point, it might be simpler to just type out "IG #myinstaname" on the shirt and leave it at that.