question

gils avatar image
gils asked

APL Pager Issues with TouchWrapper

When navigation is set to "none", a TouchWrapper within a Pager does not send a UserEvent anymore. This worked until January because I exhaustively tested it on device, so I think it may be a side effect of this update:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/195371/apl-pager-issue-navigation-none-can-be-moved.html

Please note that when testing on simulator, UserEvents are correctly sent, so this is a device-related issue.

Moreover, a TouchWrapper inside the first displayed page of a Pager does not send a UserEvent, whatever is the Pager navigation state (I tried all values). Instead, the device builtin behaviour is observed (https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/198394/touching-screen-pauses-skill.html). Please note that TouchWrappers work for subsequent pages reached through a setPage command.

In this second case, simulator behaves the same (no UserEvents are sent for the first page).

apl
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bubbamachina avatar image
bubbamachina answered

Im having a similar issue where I have a few touchwrapper buttons on a Pager component page, but when I touch a button the pager moves to the next page, or sometimes the button click goes through, or both.
I would like for both to work, but the buttons be rendered "above" the pager component, yet still be nested as children within that particular page of the pager component.When I press the buttons, it shoulld therefore ignore the pager, but when i touch or swipe anywhere else, only then the pager should activate. I was gonna make a question post, but you already have a similar problem here, so i decided to put this here instead.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sungyoo avatar image
sungyoo answered

Hey @gils and @bubbamachina

Can you guys fill out information listed out below as it will help us investigate further? Thanks!

• Device(s) Affected: <Alexa device(s) affected>
  • Device Serial Number (DSN):
  • Skill Request received by the skill: <This can be captured by logging the skill request you get when the skill is invoked>
  • Skill response containing the APL and any applicable datasources: <This can be captured in the Test tab of the skill developer console>
  • Screenshot of the authoring tool: <Link to a screenshot of the authoring tool if relevant>
  • Picture(s) of device(s) affected: <Link to pictures of device issues. Videos if the issue is related to animation/interactions>
  • SW Build number on the respective device(s): <Accessible by pulling down the notification tray, click on Settings>Device Options->Check for software updates>

gils avatar image
gils answered

Hi @Oliver@Amazon,

Device affected is an Echo Spot that runs the latest software build available (628539520).

These issues have been signaled during the certification process, so they are not related to my specific device, as devices of certifiers are all affected.

You can easily reproduce these issues as described below.

Issue 1: Create a Pager with two pages and navigation set to 'none'. Put an image in page one and a touch wrapper that wraps a container with a frame and a text label in page two. Then, send a response with two directives: a RenderDocument with the pager and an ExecuteCommand that executes a SetPage command (that in turn move the pager to the second page). Put in the response also a brief speech as "moving to page two".

When you'll execute this response, you'll get the following behaviour: page one is displayed and at the same time "moving to page two" is spoken. Then, the pager move to page two. If you then try to tap on the second page, no UserEvent is sent. Now set navigation to 'normal' and repeat the experiment: this time all will work as expected.

Issue 2: Add a TouchWrapper that wraps the image of the first page, set navigation to 'normal', and remove the ExecuteCommand directive from the response. When you'll execute this response, you'll find that tapping on the first page will not send any UserEvent. If you swipe to the second page and tap the screen, the TW will work as expected. This behaviour remains the same regardless of the navigation value.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gils

darianbjohnson avatar image
darianbjohnson answered

I am having the same issue as @gils (issue #1). Happy to provide details if it helps fix the issue. Testing on an Echo Show (Version 2)

Arun@Amazon avatar image
Arun@Amazon answered

Hi

We have found issues with the use of the TouchWrapper component inside the APL Pager. These have been reported to the engineering team for investigation and will also be called out as known issues with our next update.

Thanks

Arun

@aruntalkstech