question

Ainsley avatar image
Ainsley asked

Bug with Alexa Developer Console (Unable to place question mark when using SSML at end of Alexa prompt confirmation)

Unable to place question mark when using SSML at end of Alexa prompt confirmation?

Please help or fix, thanks!

alexainteraction modeldeveloper portalmodel
1549042141266.png (19.7 KiB)
1549042176737.png (21.7 KiB)
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Alohakrisi avatar image
Alohakrisi answered

This worked in my testing console:

<speak>

Is

<say-as interpret-as="telephone">1234567</say-as> correct?

</speak>

I think in your second image you got it almost right, but probably it needs a space between the </speak> and the question mark that follows it. More info can be found here:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/speech-synthesis-markup-language-ssml-reference.html#say-as

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Could you please provide screenshot of it working? Does not work for me

0 Likes 0 ·

It seems that there is a problem with speak tags. I also get this error, when I add speak tags. Without them, I was able to put question mark. But if I add ssml and speak tags, I get the error saying, that question mark has to be at the end of the expression. This happens when pressing the plus symbol. Before there is no error:

After pressing plus:

Without ssml it works fine with this example: "I like MG?"

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-5e1bef37-b614-47eb-ad98-523ee2e169d4 avatar image
newuser-5e1bef37-b614-47eb-ad98-523ee2e169d4 answered

This is still an issue. Alexa's reading punctuation even when it's outside the <say-as> tags.

Check out my Slot Confirmation Alexa Speech Prompt in my SaveBusStopIntent:

amzn1.ask.skill.2524c7a8-8ddc-47bb-9775-213d26f25e70

1 comment
10 |5000

I found a solution. You have to use a comma not a period after the </say-as> end tag.

for example: <speak>is <say-as interpret-as="digits">{bus_stop}</say-as>, is that right?</speak>. (works without reading punctuation).

this will read the punctuation:

<speak>is <say-as interpret-as="digits">{bus_stop}</say-as>. is that right?</speak>.

(will read "dot")

My best guess is that there's a regex that's parsing the "." and "?" into SSML but not ",".

0 Likes 0 ·