question

TedB avatar image
TedB asked

Interacting with Reminders without voice

I'm interested in doing something, but want to make sure it's even possible since I'm not very familiar yet with the Echo ecosystem -

Basically, I want to make a smartphone app that interacts with Echo functionality (specifically, reminders), but I don't need a skill that someone can interact with via voice. The existing Echo interface for setting/reading reminders is sufficient for my purposes, but reading and setting them from the Alexa app is a bit clunky.

I can't find anything in the documentation that indicates that this is possible, though. There's a section on companion apps, but the page on user interaction with skills only mentions voice interaction, or direct interaction via an alexa-enabled device (like an Echo Spot, *not* a smartphone), which leads me to think this either isn't possible or isn't supported.

interaction modelcompanion app
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered

The Reminders API are a function available with Alexa Skills - you need to create a voice enabled skill to work with that. Additionally, smartphone apps cannot directly interact with Alexa unless you're working with AVS, so I would recommend looking into that first.

10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.