question

RG avatar image
RG asked

Is it possible to access Smart Home devices?

I'd like to create a skill which helps me manage my smart home devices. Is it possible to write a skill, that will implement such conversation like the one below?

[Alexa notification] "Your horoscope suggest to turn off your washing machine right now. Would you like me to do that for you?"

"Yes"

"Your washing machine has been turned off"

Bear mind, that I'd like to manage all smart home devices of a given interface, some of them connected with third party smart home skill. So e.g. I'd like to list all thermostats and do something to some of them.

alexaapidevicessmart home
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sorry for asking such an obvious question but did you try playing around with the sample code?

https://github.com/alexa?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=smarthome&type=&language=

Hilarious idea by the way :)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered

The only smart home devices you are able to access within a skill are the devices that you have direct access to (usually through a device cloud) - even if user's accounts have smart home devices linked to them, it isn't possible to control them unless you have explicit access to them.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.