question

newuser-5551b98a-e67f-4123-9b6b-c58efd79240a avatar image

Does custom slot pick up values other than the mentioned slot values as well?

Hello,
For a specific intent , i wanted to use two slots one where i dont know what the user might say (AMAZON.searchQuery) and other a specific set of values . Since another slot cannot be used with AMAZON.search query , I thought of going down the approach where i would have the slot type of both the slots set to custom .
This is what i plan on doing .
Alexa , search {modality} on {title}
Where Modality is a specific set of values but i do not know what the title would be until the user utters it.

If i have the title as a custom slot and i input some random 20 slot values for its NLP training it would still pick up if i say something that is not one of the 20 values , right ? I basically want to be able to capture whatever the user would say for the slot title . Since AMAZON.searchQuery cannot be paired with another slot type i thought of going down this approach.
Bottomline : Can i use a custom slot to capture anything that the user might say ? Also , is it okay if i have two slots in an utterance . Is that preferable and effective ? Like search {modality} for {title} . Will it work every single time without any issue or will the words get jumbled up ? (This is the approach i have taken for now)

Whats the best appraoch for my problem ? ANy help is appreciated , Thanks!

alexa skills kitalexaalexa smart homenode_jsalexa for business
1 comment
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I would use SearchQuery in your case, because I don't think, that you'll be able to cover all of the possible values, while search would return what user has returned.

It is fine to have utterances with several slot types in them.

You are correct. Slots can sometimes pick values, that are not in the slot values. I am not really sure why that happens, but it does sometimes.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered

Hello and thanks for your message.

You can create your own slot type for your modality slot. And by using slot validation, you can limit the values that will be accepted by that slot.

There is no problem on using multiple slots in an utterance. Alexa will do it's best to match it.

Regards,
Barry

2 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@barry@amazon , Bottom line can i use the custom slots instead of amazon.search ? I have added 20 slot values for ref but the user can say anything that is not part of the list as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra ♦♦ newuser-5551b98a-e67f-4123-9b6b-c58efd79240a ·

If you want to restrict what the user can say, than you should use slot validation. If that is not the case, then you can use AMAZON.SearchQuery.

0 Likes 0 ·