question

muni avatar image
muni asked

Why are proactively reports of status changes to Alexa ignored?

in the documentation it is clearly stated that it is recommended to send reports of the endpoint status changes

here it is stated that this feature is required to receive the WWA certification.

Why is this so important?

I've spent time and resources in implementing this feature thinking that it was necessary to provide a fluid experience to users using the alexa app on mobile smartphones.

I'm really disappointed because the proactive reports seems to be ignored. I can see from the logs that when I open the alexa app I'm receiving continuously requests from alexa requesting the status of the endpoints.
Looks like events are ignored and the alexa app relies on polling to keep the status updated.

Can you please provide some explanation?

I was also thinking to implement the add or update reports and the delete report

but now I'm really skeptical and I want to avoid spending time on them without confirmation that they are handled and not ignored as for the status changed report.

Does anyone has experiences with the AddOrUpdateReport or with the DeleteReport?

smart homeworks with alexa
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

roy-1 avatar image
roy-1 answered

Hi muni,

Thanks for posting! Regarding proactive state updates, have you had a chance to try the State Reporting Test Tool? This will let you see if Alexa is relying on your ChangeReports, or StateReports for this endpoint:

Debug Your Smart Home Skill

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.