question

Matt Sanford avatar image
Matt Sanford asked ·

Invalid voice model / API combination

TL;DR: I'm getting the following error updating my skill. Does anyone know the cause?

$ ask api update-skill -s $skill_id -f skill.json
Command not recognized. Please run "ask" for help.
Call update-skill error.

Error code: 400
{
  "message": "Skill manifest is not valid.",
  "violations": [
    {
      "message": "Invalid voice model/API combination: [smartHome]."
    }
  ]
}

I have an existing Alexa Custom Skill (amzn1.ask.skill.88517273-c30f-4edc-8855-d9cfdf32c250) for controlling a smart home device. The device in question is not in one of the pre-defined categories so when my skill was launched a Smart Home Skill was not appropriate. I am now working to add Smart Home Skill support for Works with Alexa certification. The FAQ at https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smarthome/add-custom-voice-interaction-to-a-smart-home-skill.html seems to imply this is possible.

That same docs mentions merging two so I created a new Smart Home sKill from scratch (amzn1.ask.skill.5dfc1258-3925-4e13-9c90-f32a8cc5ad0b) and did a similar update there. It also failed. I then took out the "custom" section and was able to update it. Here is the "apis" section of my JSON:

"apis": {
      "smartHome": {
        "protocolVersion": "3",
        "endpoint": {
          "uri": "arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:XXXX:function:XXXX"
        }
      },
      "custom": {
          "sslCertificateType": "Wildcard",
          "uri": "MY_URL_HERE"
        },
        "interfaces": [
          {
            "type": "RENDER_TEMPLATE",
            "minimumTemplateVersion": "1.0"
          }
        ]
      }
    }

What is the problem with this? Also: the examples in the docs mix uri fields with Lambda ARNs and HTTP values, which ask-cli said was invalid.

smart homeask cliworks with alexa
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-9cff7421-30db-4742-aa51-b715c6e4a8c0 avatar image
newuser-9cff7421-30db-4742-aa51-b715c6e4a8c0 answered ·

Same question. Any progress?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra avatar image
Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra answered ·

Hi @Matt Sanford and thanks for posting.

I understand that you are having issues updating your skill.json file. I understand that the one you shared is being built as it is supposed to. Can you please share the version that is throwing the error?

Regards,
Barry

Matt Sanford answered ·

Hi @barry@amazon,

My full JSON (with a few redactions) is below. This seems like a problem with the existing Custom skill interaction model but the docs suggest that the cli is able to handle that.

{
  "manifest": {
    "manifestVersion": "1.0",
    "publishingInformation": {
      "locales": {
        "en-US": {
          "summary": "Control your Aura frame with your voice using Alexa",
          "examplePhrases": [
            "Alexa, ask Aura for the next photo",
            "Alexa, ask Aura to show a photo from Hawaii",
            "Alexa, ask Aura when this photo was taken"
          ],
          "keywords": [
            "Aura",
            "Frame",
            "photos",
            "picture",
            "Smart Home"
          ],
          "name": "Aura Frame",
          "smallIconUri": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/CAPS-SSE/echo_developer/495e/65fbc028a07c4ddd86c059400ff3e9e7/APP_ICON?versionId=wG8ELcQDyVTtgXLuZlSxTEfrlubbuaDf&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFEYRBGIHK2BBYKA&Expires=1543535849&Signature=yl0aHa1sX14UZ5ueaL7wFuCiSo8%3D",
          "description": "The Aura frame has always allowed control with just a wave of your hand. Now you can use Alexa to also control it with your voice.",
          "largeIconUri": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/CAPS-SSE/echo_developer/17b8/2c54044416944a778dd4bed70963f210/APP_ICON_LARGE?versionId=NmWKbHxTMK6ys3S194E_WDr_ISkEjv5Z&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFEYRBGIHK2BBYKA&Expires=1543535849&Signature=47shOVLEt31ojCCWj7r9tlqpmn4%3D"
        }
      },
      "isAvailableWorldwide": false,
      "testingInstructions": "REDACTED",
      "category": "SMART_HOME",
      "distributionCountries": [
        "US"
      ]
    },
    "apis": {
      "smartHome": {
        "protocolVersion": "3",
          "uri": "arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:452499883540:function:alexaSmartHomeSkill"
        }
      },
      "custom": {
          "sslCertificateType": "Wildcard",
          "uri": "https://REDACTED"
        },
        "interfaces": [
          {
            "type": "RENDER_TEMPLATE",
            "minimumTemplateVersion": "1.0"
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "privacyAndCompliance": {
      "allowsPurchases": false,
      "locales": {
        "en-US": {
          "privacyPolicyUrl": "https://auraframes.com/privacy"
        }
      },
      "isExportCompliant": true,
      "containsAds": false,
      "isChildDirected": false,
      "usesPersonalInfo": false
    }
  }
}

1 comment

Hi @Matt Sanford and thanks for the additional information.

Before we continue, I just wanted to clarify a point. Since this feature is currently in preview, i.e. not generally available, developers wanting to take part of it must request access by filling out a survey here, as per this page. Did you fill it out?

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
Matt Sanford answered ·

Thanks @barry@amazon,

I had not filled it out. I'm not sure how I missed the banner about needing to request access. I submitted the form now. Is this the error you would expect from an account without preview access? I mostly ask so people like @NewUser-9cff7421-30db-4742-aa51-b715c6e4a8c0 can see the answer in the forum.

Thanks again,

— Matt

2 comments

Hi @Matt Sanford,

This is the current behaviour of the platform for the general audience, so I would expect it to be the reason behind the failure that you have seen.

I'm in contact with the internal team responsible for this feature to check it and will update this thread once I hear it back from them.

Please feel free to do the same, once you get feedback from your application.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Matt Sanford,

I just heard back from our internal team and, indeed, if you have not requested access to this feature, that is the expected error message.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason avatar image
Jason answered ·

Same question,but no one to fix this.what a pity.

15 comments

Hello @Jason and thanks for posting.

Are you also trying to add Custom Interaction to a Smart Home skill? As mentioned in the documentation linked in my previous message and here again just to make sure, this feature is currently in beta and you need to request access to it by filling out this survey.

Let me know if you have issues signing up.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
alexrod avatar image alexrod Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra ♦♦ ·

Hi Barry, I have the same issue and already filled out the survey a couple of times but nothing happened and I did not get any answer back. What should happen after filling out the survey ?

Thanks

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·

I also filled it out several weeks ago and got no response either rejecting my request or approving it. Just silence. May I humbly suggest that if Amazon feels it already has enough beta testers for this preview, it either pulls down the application form or at least replies to respondents that their request is not approved.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Dave avatar image Dave Amazon_Bernardo Bezerra ♦♦ ·

Filled out survey. Will I get a response for approval / non-approval ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Don't hold your breath...

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave avatar image
Dave answered ·

Is this issue still unsolved ?

I am getting the same error - Invalid voice model/API combindation: [smarthome]

Is there any way to combine custom interactions with smart home model schema ?

newuser-a47d9703-8f60-46f9-94e2-642b58e12d4e avatar image
newuser-a47d9703-8f60-46f9-94e2-642b58e12d4e answered ·

Are there some updates on this issue? How I check if I received access after filling survey?

1 comment

Hello and thank you for your message.

After filling out the survey, you should be contacted by Amazon to be informed if your skill will be whitelisted to test this beta.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-4fe72a8a-1675-414a-b644-7ccdb83c4820 avatar image
newuser-4fe72a8a-1675-414a-b644-7ccdb83c4820 answered ·

I am getting the same error - Invalid voice model/API combindation: [smarthome]

Have you solved this problem?

1 comment

Hello, and thanks for your message.

This feature is currently available only as a private beta. In order to be considered for it, you must filled out the survey linked here.

After that, someone from Amazon will reach out to you and provide you with further information about how to proceed.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·

hello barry

i filling out the survey ,how manytime to contacted by Amazon ?

hello barry:

I have filling out the survey ,but have a long time not contacted by Amazon why? How long will it take? How can i do?

thank you !

1 comment

Hello and thank you for your message.

How long ago have you filled out the survey? Unfortunately, I don't know what is the ETA for this team to reply.

Regards,
Barry

0 Likes 0 ·