question

B avatar image
B asked ·

Please vote against the new Merch content policy

You are probably aware that since October, the Merch content policy has been changed to allow profanity, sexual content and drug designs to be uploaded. I was very disappointed in this and I’ve already sent an email concerning it to Merch support. Will you join me in voting “No” on this new content policy? If you’d like to hear the reasons for my vote, you can read them below.

I am a Christian, and the Bible teaches that profanity is taking the name of the Lord Jesus in vain, and that is offensive to Him and me. The Bible also teaches that the physical relationship of a man and a woman is reserved only for a husband and his wife, and not something to make into dirty jokes. Immorality is rampant in our country and has caused disease and also the destruction of families. Finally, the Bible teaches that drugs are wrong. It’s plain to see that drugs are destroying people in our country. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “More than 72,000 Americans died from drug overdoses in 2017, including illicit drugs and prescription opioids—a 2-fold increase in a decade.” This is not including all of the violence it causes. The information on the new content policy says that these three things are not allowed on youth size apparel, however, children will be browsing through the Amazon website so they will see it on the adult size shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Also, does this mean that these designs can be uploaded to popsockets...which can be purchased by kids? What this new content policy means is that Amazon is promoting profanity, sexual content, and drugs. Our country does not need more of these things, it needs less.

merch by amazonpolicy
5 comments
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Don't got my vote. THIS IS NOT CHURCH. GO TO CHURCH FOR THAT. Stop trying to censor the world because of YOUR VIEWS. Don't like it, don't buy it. Period. Welcome to the USA.

1 Like 1 ·

Christianity has done far worse for society than words on t-shirts ever have or ever will. Get over yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·

One question. Are you for real? :)

0 Likes 0 ·
FocusedOnResults avatar image FocusedOnResults newuser-d616bb5e-3ef0-4e00-a2b9-911d7dcf7ed5 ·

Hello - please don't mock others on this forum. I avoid many of the FB groups due to the unkind and often rude comments made to and about others.

The person posted their opinion.

Some will agree, some won't but there is no reason to mock or give someone a hard time.

-1 Like -1 ·

Didn't mean to...BUT, we are all here to sell shirts, right?

1 Like 1 ·
Soup avatar image
Soup answered ·

I'm going to vote in favor of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, and the separation of church and state (Amazon).

You have valid concerns, but the more open we can be about these things, the better. IMO this is a good policy and a win for a more transparent honest society.

Outlawing these things because the Bible says it's offensive would be pretty weak when profanity, sexuality, and drugs are a real thing, and a major part of a lot of *good* peoples day to day lives

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-5db4898f-88e1-40f9-ab58-9764b2c5d7c1 avatar image
newuser-5db4898f-88e1-40f9-ab58-9764b2c5d7c1 answered ·

Profane, sexual and drug related content have been available on Amazon for years, well before the Merch policy change.

Mike avatar image
Mike answered ·

Take a stand and leave the platform.

newuser-60046ca2-9650-43b0-8937-8963a712c034 avatar image
newuser-60046ca2-9650-43b0-8937-8963a712c034 answered ·

Voted against after reading the first sentence in your reasoning.

newuser-5a9cd971-14ef-4e08-9111-637d9d8d3c9f avatar image
newuser-5a9cd971-14ef-4e08-9111-637d9d8d3c9f answered ·

ugh religion is so toxic. leave the platform in protest please. I'll vote for that

FocusedOnResults avatar image
FocusedOnResults answered ·

Good Morning - all of us are fully entitled to voice our opinion. Including the original post. Bashing anyone, especially for religious beliefs is not cool - at all - be it on this forum or anywhere else.

To the original post - I appreciated reading your post and like everyone else you are fully entitled to your opinion.

Merch had allowed profanity on tees in the beginning days and then changed their mind and designs were to be pulled. I have no doubt that many people made great money with slogans/comments etc. Amazon (not Merch) has allowed profanity and drug related designs - I am not sure for how long but they are definitely on the platform. Now it appears,as you noticed, that profanity is allowed again on Merch.

I did not participate then nor am I now. I've read comments from some including one that was something like - Why would I not make designs like these? Who would leave money on the table (by not making profanity laden designs)? I don't look at it as "leaving money on the table". I am not comfortable having my name or my brand associated with profanity, drugs or crude sayings.

I've been in the advertising industry many years. I've passed on many ad accounts and watched others make great money on the accounts - no thank you. I prefer knowing that I kept true to my own personal values and ethics.

As my dad always said - just because everyone is jumping off the roof doesn't mean you need to do so also.

So with this being said, I wish you the best. Merch is a wonderful platform and you can make great designs, including faith based ones, and do well.

Ricardo Almeida avatar image
Ricardo Almeida answered ·

I don't promote tobacco, violence and drugs. And I'm not religious.

I think profanity, sexual content and drugs are things that attract vulgarity and low-lives.

Anyway freedom of expression needs to be respected... :)

Neal avatar image
Neal answered ·

I fully agree with and would vote against the new content policy, I also believe in free speech. When I grew up profanity of any kind was off limits in mixed company. Those who practiced it were considered as uneducated and had a limited vocabulary. As I grew older i’ve seen this behavior become part of our every day language and I don’t like it.

I would suggest that a compromise may help to shield children as well as my tender soul. I suspect there are a lot of people out there who will not buy any product that carries offensive language or deals with drugs. I am an 80 year old born again Christian and a political liberal and I don’t like to be exposed to this type of material. The comments berating the young man who started this request are uncalled for.

Perhaps Amazon could consider a rating system that the customer would check into that would segregate G rated and PG from R and X rated material. That way a customer knows that they are in the territory they wish to be in and they do not have to be put off by offensive (to them) merchandise.

TEES avatar image
TEES answered ·

It's a business. That's all. Nobody is going to hell on Merch. Well maybe some.

Mike avatar image
Mike answered ·

You know what, if people come to a message board about selling t-shirts and begin to espouse their religious beliefs, spouting off about the ills of society and how others should vote against a policy simply because their ridiculous ancient book says it’s a sin to use profanity - they lose the protections of normal human discourse. They came in with a self-righteous attitude and they should get whatever the folks in this forum want to give them. You don’t walk into a restaurant and ask people with steak on their plate to sign your petition to make that restaurant vegetarian. Start a Christian Merch Forum, invite everyone, and preach to the folks that accept your invitation. Get them to sign petitions, write letters to Bezos, whatever...

1 comment

Agreed. Tries to censor the platform, when they don't get applauded for it they try to censor the forums. Quite typical.

0 Likes 0 ·