question

JohnDallman avatar image
JohnDallman asked

Cannot build 64-bit app in Android Studio for Fire HD10

We are developing an Android app, which is required to support Android 5, but needs to be 64-bit only, because of a native library. So we bought a Fire 10 HD, as the most powerful Android 5 device available. But we can't get Android Studio to build for it, because Android Studio insists that the app needs to be built 32-bit. Looking at the device properties with getprop in the ADB shell, I find:

[ro.product.cpu.abi]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist64]: []
[ro.product.cpu.abilist]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]

That seems to be telling me that the device has a 64-bit CPU, but that the list of 64-bit ABIs it declares is empty. A different device that can run 64-bit apps has:

[ro.product.cpu.abi]: [arm64-v8a]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]

Is there a way to either tell Android Studio that the Fire HD 10 can run 64-bit, or to change the system properties to allow this?

Or does the Fire HD 10 only run 32-bit conventional Android apps? I can build 64-bit native code for the ADB shell, and that runs on the Fire HD 10 happily.

fire tabletandroid
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi John,

Thanks for posting! It can run only 32 bit conventional apps. There is no way to tell Android Studio that the Fire HD 10 can run 64-bit. The decision to run an application in 32-bit or 64-bit mode is based on ABI.

3 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

OK, and thanks for the confirmation. It was looking like that, but knowing for sure is good.

0 Likes 0 ·

Will more ABIs be supported in the future?

0 Likes 0 ·

If or when something gets supported, we will announce that. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·