question

newuser-18175917-1538-41b6-b4cd-243315834a19 avatar image

Issue Mapping Alexa Device with Group in Alexa app for smart home alexa skill

I can uniquely identify from which account the alexa smart home skill in invoked using the bearer token in the header. Now the scenario is that, i have two room(1st room is called Bedroom 1 and second room is called Bedroom 2) and have two alexa device (one for each room) namely echo dot 1 and echo dot 2. Each room has a light called "Bed Light". The Light name is same in both the room. Now during device discovery i assign the applianceId of Bed Light in Room 1 as "1" and applianceId of Bed Light in Room 2 as "2". However the friendlyName attribute of both the device are same as "Bed Light". Now after discovering the devices(says two devices discovered both having the same name) in the alexa app, i have created two group named "Bedroom 1" and "Bedroom 2". In the Bedroom 1 group i have added echo dot 1 and Bed Light. In Bedroom 2 group, i have added echo dot 2 and Bed Light. Also the preferred speaker in Bedroom 1 group is echo dot 1 and bedroom 2 is echo dot 2.

Now when i say turn on bed light from echo dot 1 it turns on the bedlight of Bedroom 1 as usual, however when i say turn on bed light from echo dot 2 it still turn on the bedlight in bedroom 1. In the log too i can see it is invoking the same appliance (identifying using the applianceId). I have tried to removing and adding combination(First and Second in the device list) of Bed Light in Bedroom 1 group and Bedroom 2 group. They are invoking only the same bed light.

Note that i cannot change the appliance friendly name.

How can i have same appliance name in two room and the appliance can be controlled by the alexa device present in that particular room only.

alexa smart homesmart homedevice discovery
1 comment
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

hi any help guys? All i need is under single account, i should be able to control two light with same name in two different room using two different alexa echo device( i.e. each room has their own alexa device)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

apeksha avatar image
apeksha answered

Hello there,

To control all the devices that are added to group just say "turn on <Group Name>" or

"turn off <Group Name>"

For example : Turn on Bedroom 1

Turn on Bedroom 2

Note: The Best possible way to control devices is to provide the unique friendly name for the endppoints.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.