question

Larry Nocella avatar image
Larry Nocella asked

Can Echo Show play YouTube videos?

I want to build an Echo skill that plays videos hosted on YouTube.

I think - as of now - this is not possible, since the Video App directive info

(LINK: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/videoapp-interface-reference.html#videoapp-directives)

Says "The source for videoItem must be a native video file."

I guess it makes sense - otherwise you'd get YouTube ads playing on an Amazon Echo Show.

Any ideas - is playing YouTube videos possible or not? I think not but I hope I'm wrong. Thank you!

alexa skills kitalexavideoapp
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Robert G Schaffrath avatar image
Robert G Schaffrath answered

While you cannot play YouTube videos under a Skill (legally - as noted above there are ways to get the link to the MP4 file) it is possible to watch YouTube videos on an Echo Show if you access either the FireFox or Silk browser and then navigate to YouTube in either one of those browsers.

2 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yeah, but he cannot include youtube video in his own custom skill, unfortunately,

1 Like 1 ·
Larry Nocella avatar image Larry Nocella Daniel M. | DigiVoice.io ·

Thank you both for the info! Have a great day!

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel M. | DigiVoice.io avatar image
Daniel M. | DigiVoice.io answered

This would be against YouTube's rules. You could check the source code of the page and find the mp4 video-file. But again this would violate the terms of service.

10 |5000