question

newuser-32c9e785-a260-44a2-9aa3-1e9d27721c9d avatar image
newuser-32c9e785-a260-44a2-9aa3-1e9d27721c9d asked ·

The skill did not begin with a roll call prompting users to awaken their Echo Buttons.

I have built a trivia skill with button support using Echo Buttons Trivia - https://github.com/alexa/skill-sample-nodejs-buttons-trivia. It was working fine when I tested in developer console. However, it was rejected by reviewer with this message. What is the solution?

The skill did not begin with a roll call prompting users to awaken their Echo Buttons. A roll call is required at the beginning of skills utilizing Echo Buttons to ensure the buttons are awake for the remainder of the interaction.

Steps To Reproduce:

User: "Alexa open fruits trivia" Skill: "Welcome to Fruits Trivia. This game supports up to 4 players. How many players are there?" User: "one" Skill: "Fantastic! Are you ready to start the game?"

Please note that the skill must provide roll call in order to awaken the echo buttons before navigating further into the skill.

alexa skills kitalexaechobuttons
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Were you able to figure this out?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason@Amazon avatar image
Jason@Amazon answered ·

Roll call needs to be implemented - the skill needs to discover how many buttons are going to be used before actually starting the quiz. There needs to be a roll call before your quiz actually begins - take a look at the following link on how this is implemented:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/gadget-skills/discover-echo-buttons.html#goals

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The issue is we are using the Amazon provided sample which handles the roll call when there are 2 or more players. If the user says there is only 1 player, then it just jumps into the game.

I've been poking around the source code, but I'm struggle to figure out where this roll call is actually taking place and which logic is saying "skip the roll call if there is only a single player".

Any help with this?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael avatar image
Michael answered ·

All you need to do is explain in the "Testing instructions" that when there is only a single player, the buttons are bypassed and the microphone is open to freely answer after the question is asked. My skill has passed the certification with this information provided to them.

1 comment

Sorry for the late reply - glad you resolved the issue and congratulations on the certification!

0 Likes 0 ·