question

newuser-7d414fa8-bd71-4deb-90e3-f5cc6881895c avatar image

The app exceeded 65k reference limit

We are currently planning to update the application.

However, the application is pending with the error below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

Android method number 65k limit During publishing process, the app exceeded 65k reference limit. Please enable multidexing your app or use ProGuard to reduce methods and resubmit the app. More info here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

It is Gradle setting of my application.

minSdkVersion 21

multiDexEnabled true

minifyEnabled true

I attempted to reduce the number of methods by applying proguard, but since it exceeds 65,536, we are doing multiDexEnabled.

Also, since minSdkVersion is set to 21, I think Multidex support library is unnecessary.

Looking at https://developer.amazon.com/en/docs/app-submission/avoid-compile-errors.html, I think there is no problem.

Is not it possible to publish apk exceeding 65536 method in the Amazon App Store?

I installed the application from apk on Fire tablet, but there was no problem in operation verification.

Thank you for your answer.

android
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mcochin avatar image
mcochin answered

I have the same problem, we have multi-dex enabled but still giving this error. Only workaround I found was to keep resubmitting the app. until it accepts it.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bubblesoft avatar image
Bubblesoft answered

Same issue. I resubmitted (without change) and we'll see how it goes...

10 |5000

Bubblesoft avatar image
Bubblesoft answered

To fix it, I had to recompile the APK with D8 (the new dexer) disabled by setting android.enableD8=false in gradle.properties

10 |5000

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered

Apologies for the inconvenience, but I'm glad that you were able to successfully submit your application for publishing.

10 |5000