question

Gavin avatar image
Gavin asked

How does Alexa identify different skills with the same words?

Hi,

Suppose I have installed two smart home skills from different vendor, A and B, for example, that they all support smart lights.

Now I want to turn on my light, so I say, "Alexa, turn on the living room light.".

But how alexa can choose the correct vendor A or B?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

B.R

Gavin

alexa skills kitalexaalexa smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anand@Amazon avatar image
Anand@Amazon answered

Hello Gavin,

Let's say you are using two different vendor's skill and both are enabled in your alexa account and you have discovered two different light endpoint. You have option to set a friendly name to these smart device. But you can't have duplicate friendly name for multiple smart endpoints.

Now if user will say turn on light then Alexa will re-prompt saying there are two different smart light , light name1 and light name2. Which one you want to turn on? Then user will say please turn on light name 1.

If there are only single endpoint then it will directly implement the command.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gavin avatar image
Gavin answered

Thank you very much! @Anand@Amazon

10 |5000