question

vengiss avatar image
vengiss asked ·

Best practices to get long alphanumeric string from user?

I just started working on my first Alexa skill and it's been a great experience so far, the skill that I'm working on makes http requests to an external API and responds depending on voice commands however this API requires me to pass an "appId" variable with each request for authentication.

Right now I'm hardcoding this as an environment variable and it works fine but I was thinking that if I were to publish my skill I'll need a way for people to set their own "appId" but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

I can try to let them set it with a voice command but this is a long alphanumeric string with uppercase and lowercase characters so I don't think it'll work that well. Are there any other ways to ask for this kind of info?

Thanks.

alexa voice servicevoice-user interfaceworks with alexaalexa command line interface
1 comment
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I'm also looking for a way to capture a long alphanumeric with upper/lower case. The only way I can think to accomplish this is to create a separate app/web site and use account linking to pull user config data. But this creates a lot of friction for the user because they would have to go register, login, and enter the data first, then come back to the skill and setup account linking.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Jamie Grossman avatar image
Jamie Grossman answered ·

Can't you just integrate this sort of approach into your sample utterances? So for example:

{number1} {letter1} {number2} {number3} ../

You could also try creating a custom slot, but I am not 100% these support alphanumeric values.

10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.