question

GarrettJMU avatar image
GarrettJMU asked

Setting an interval timer in custom skill?

Hi guys,

I'm working on a side project that would set a timer to remind someone to do something every fifteen/30/hour or two hours for x amount of time. With the possibility to go back to the 30/hour etc. Changing each day moving forward. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. The AVS notification docs are exactly easy to follow. Does anyone have some open source projects that use a custom interval timer?

alexa skills kitnotificationsjavascript
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

roy-1 avatar image
roy-1 answered

Hello,

Thanks for posting. There is not currently a way for skills to reach out to users without being invoked. If this is something you'd like to see in the future, as a developer, you can submit feature requests to us through our uservoice page here:

alexa.uservoice.com

3 comments
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Roy,

Follow up question to that. Would it be possible for a user to say "name, start x" and that would put an interval timer on for 10 hours? If not, what would be some workarounds?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Roy@amazon if I wanted to do this, could I theoretically create a 15 minute audio file with the sound for the timer at the end? I know that's a hackier solution but curious on your insight.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi GarrettJMU,

Playing an audio file with the timer sound at the end may technically work, but it may not be the best user experience, as any requests from your customers to play any audio (such as flash briefing) during that time will stop your audio.

However, this sounds like a great idea for a feature, so please submit this to our uservoice page:

alexa.uservoice.com

0 Likes 0 ·