question

newuser-0ebbd72c-9542-4166-b3bd-49275df197bc avatar image

Smartphone as a processing device?

Is it possible to use the phone as a processing device? I'm talking about reducing the cost of manufacturing an Alexy device, it picks up the sound, sends it to the phone that takes care of the rest, and sends a signal to the cloud. It seems to me that I read about it once, but I don't know if it was presented and I can't find it anywhere.

alexa voice servicealexa smart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Surya@Amzn avatar image
Surya@Amzn answered

Right now, we just specify UX features and microphone performance (for far field), rather than specifying hardware explicitly. For example - a physical mute button is preferred to a virtual mute button, but you are required to be able to mute Alexa to prevent audio from being sent to AVS. Essentially, if you aren't doing far-field, just make sure all the features of AVS can work properly on your platform. Far-field performance would require a much more in-depth discussion. If you're interested in more information, please refer the link here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/59778/launch-with-avs.html

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.