question

frittenbude avatar image
frittenbude asked ·

Create groups in the moment of endpoint-discovery

Can Alexa create groups of devices/endpoints if I provide some additional information in the Alexa.Discovery.Response?

alexadevicesdevice discoverygroups
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

apeksha avatar image
apeksha answered ·

Hi Developer,

Groups are at UI level it don't have any impact on Smart home skill API's.

You can only create groups through Alexa companion App.

4 comments

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

So there is no way my smart home skill can create a new group on discovery?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Developer,

No, groups are at UI level.

From discovery it is not possible.

0 Likes 0 ·

My users don't like taking the time to setup groups so they just don't use Alexa because of this basic short coming, When will device groups be added to discovery its a really obvious feature especially if we know which rooms the devices are in.

2 Likes 2 ·
Show more comments
Phil McGee avatar image
Phil McGee answered ·

Well there are groups and groups. If you want them to appear in the Alexa app as a group, then indeed no. But if just want to use a group name by voice, you can fudge it. During discovery you can add a SceneController that when triggered will run a loop in your Lambda over an array of devices (so you still get it in the app, but under scenes). I use this approach with TemperatureController to set a group of rooms to a common temperature. Main thing might be how to name the group. I added a UI field locally that allows me to specify an array of group names that endpoints belong to. Otherwise, some smart pattern matching with regexes will go a long way towards guessing a sensible group name for your user. And if they don't like your guess, it can be edited by the user in the Alexa app.