question

LenM avatar image
LenM asked

Can I upload a new apk with a lower target sdk than the previous one?

Say I have version 1.0 of my app on the store

with version code 1.

the minsdkVersion is 17

the targetSdkVersion is 27.

So some people have already downloaded it,

maybe on a device with version 25.

Can I upload a new apk to replace version 1.0

with a lower targetSdkVersion of 21 now?

And of course with a new version code of 2.

The reason I want to do this is that I now have version 2.0

of my app but I want to keep version 1.0 for older devices

and I want to make version 2.0 with the min sdk version 22

and target sdk 27,

but the app store won't let me do it because

the min and target sdk overlap with version 1.0

since they both have targetSdkVersion of 27.

app submission and updatessdk
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi LenM,

I have written a Knowledge Base article that could answer your question, here:

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/articles/38630/multibinary-submission-error.html

If after reading it you still have further questions, please let us know. Thanks!

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

gdmdev avatar image
gdmdev answered

I hear what you're saying @Levon@Amazon and your answer did work to some degree. I was finally able to upload using a lower minSdk, however, when making the versionCode lower than the existing apk's, and using a lower minSdk, i lost functionality to all 19 tv device types.

Here's my stats:

Current, live apk: versionCode 22 - minSdk: 22

Desired minSdk: 21

Failed apk: versionCode: 23 - minSdk: 21

Of course that fails.. But then i took your advice and kept the minSdk of 21 and put the versionCode at 20. It did upload. However, i wasn't able to select a single TV device type in the dev console to make my apk for.

As you probably gathered, I'd like to keep the minSdk of 21, and I dont care what the versionCode has to become to do it.

1 comment
10 |5000

Hi gdmdev,

Thanks for posting! Please note that it's not possible to submit an update with the versionCode lower than the value in the already uploaded APK -- the system will not accept such an update. I am confused how you uploaded an app with versionCode = 20 to update the one with versionCode = 22

Could you please login to your Developer Portal account and use the "Contact Us" form to specify your app name / ID, so I could look into what's happening there. Optionally include a link to this forum post, so we know the context of your query. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·