question

Hugo avatar image
Hugo asked ·

implementing roll call on a multiplayer skill.

is there anyway to find out if the user has echo buttons before doing roll call?

I have a skill that is already a multiplayer game and I would like to add button support to the game. But i don't want to ask users without buttons to connect buttons (start roll call).

alexa skills kitecho buttonsEcho Buttons Skill API
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Geoff avatar image
Geoff answered ·

I don't know of any way to tell if they have buttons connected to their device without doing a roll call. You can ask if they'd like to use echo buttons or if they have buttons and then only start the roll call if they say yes. That answer can be saved so they'd only ever have to answer it once.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Terren Peterson avatar image
Terren Peterson answered ·

What I did was persist in the DDB table that a user has previously used buttons before, and only solicited those for future interactions. There's nothing in the request object that would tell you that a user has buttons similar to how Echo Show (the display) is highlighted.