question

theplourdes avatar image
theplourdes asked

Add "Alexa Do" Action to Routines

I came up with a hack to get an Alexa Routine to perform any Alexa skill by positioning a 2nd Eco in the same room and using the Echo Say action to send any skill request to the 2nd Echo. As an example, I created a routine that uses Alexa Say to say "Alex, play pandora station graceland radio in the porch" for my Sonos, followed by actions to turn on a table light, porch fan, etc..

Works great, but a bit of a kludge. It would be great to have an "Echo Do" Action that allows you to key in text for what you want to do in a similar way (No need to include "Alexa,"), but just sends the text to the Alexa service without saying it. This would be a very open ended way to support any current and future skills. It would also remove the need for a 2nd Echo device in the same room ;)

alexafeature requestroutines
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

KirkC@Amazon avatar image
KirkC@Amazon answered

Hi the.plourdes. Thanks for sharing your experience. If you haven't done so already, you could share this as a feature request with the Alexa support team through the Alexa app itself. To do so, I've provided some steps below:

1. Open the Alexa companion app.
  2. Tap the "hamburger menu" icon (three horizontal lines in the upper left)
  3. Tap "Help & Feedback"
  4. Tap "Send Feedback"
  5. Fill out the form
  6. Tap the "Send Feedback" button.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.