question

zcduthieEDS avatar image
zcduthieEDS asked

Requirement to distribute through Amazon?

We are looking to create a Custom Skill for one of our Smart Devices that we make.

(We are opting for Custom Skill as currently there are limitations on the native Smart Home integration)

In order for the Skill to get approved, will we need to distribute our device through Amazon?

alexa skills kitalexa smart homecertificationsmart home
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

EmmaC@Amazon avatar image
EmmaC@Amazon answered

Thank you for contacting us. You are not required to sell your device through Amazon in order to get the skill approved.

Also, we do not physically receive hardware devices for the purposes of Alexa smart home skill testing. Instead, when ready to submit for certification, please provide the following in the "Testing Instructions" section of your skill submission:

- Test account credentials so that testers can perform the account linking process.
- Ensure that any required smart home devices are associated with that test account and that they are functional.

I hope this information helps!

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zcduthieEDS avatar image
zcduthieEDS answered

Hi Xin,

That is very useful. Thanks very much.

Is there somewhere with some further details on this?

I've had a look at:
https://developer.amazon.com/alexa/smart-home/launch/works-with-alexa
(For the Smart Home Skill / Works with Alexa Certification)

I assume obtaining 'Works with Alexa' certification still requires hardware testing?
(And that it is not possible to obtain 'Works with Alexa' certification using a Custom Skill)?

10 |5000

EmmaC@Amazon avatar image
EmmaC@Amazon answered

Thank you for your reply. I have included a link on how to certify your device with Works with Alexa:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smarthome/certify-your-device-with-works-with-alexa.html#submit-your-products

If you have any questions, please feel free to email wwa-support@amazon.com

10 |5000