question

Geoff avatar image
Geoff asked

Integration with IOT Buttons?

I was just wondering if there are plans to extend the Gadgets API to work with the IOT button since I noticed that they're being given away this month (June) for new skills. Maybe I'm reading too much into that. Currently, of course, they could be integrated through the back-end, by saving to a Dynamo linked by ID or something, but my question is really about the integration with the ASK & Gadgets API. Thanks!

alexa skills kitbuttonsecho buttonsEcho Buttons Skill APIaws iot
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Jenn@amazon avatar image
Jenn@amazon answered

Do you mean the Gadget Skills API or something different?

The Alexa Gadgets SDK announced last year is in Developer Preview and will be available later this year.

2 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Does the Alexa Gadgets SDK run on the AWS IOT button?

I imagine that while a handler in active, the AWS IOT could point at the lambda that would handle a button press but there’d be no way to return the response to an Alexa device, right? The response would return to the calling AWS IOT system I think... unless the Alexa Gadgets API could be put on to the IOT button so that it sends calls through an echo device.

This is a reach on my part, I know. That said, you never know what the Alexa team is cooking up next. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

From what I've heard, the Gadget SDK will behave similar to how the current Echo Buttons work by connecting with a device via Bluetooth.

Though you never know, I'm always surprised how fast a new feature/functionality can be implemented. Guess we'll just have to wait to see when they release the Gadget SDK for Public Beta. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·