question

newuser-c23b09bd-32b1-4437-9d63-fd5201261b01 avatar image

notifyFulfillment UNAVAILABLE behaviour

I have an app with in-app subscription purchase. Consider the user tries to buy a subscription, but my verification server is down and I cannot validate the receipt, so I notifyFulfillment with UNAVAILABLE because I cannot deliver the purchased content.

Q1: Is it ok to notify with UNAVAILABLE in this case, or should I be doing something else?

Q2: If that is ok to do, will the user be charged when I notifyFulfillment with UNAVAILABLE?

Q3:When testing with sandbox, after notifying with UNAVAILABLE, if I try to purchase the subscription again, I am told I am already subscribed. Is that normal behaviour? Personally, I would expect for the user to be allowed to retry the purchase since it failed last time.

Q4: If my assumptions are wrong, what is supposed to happen if we fail to verify the purchase and cannot deliver the content?

iappurchasing
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Levon@Amazon avatar image
Levon@Amazon answered

Hi there,

In case of a Subscription, notifyFulfillment with UNAVAILABLE will not change the subscription status. The subscription will be active. So the customer will get the "Already Subscribed" error message when they try to purchase the subscription again.
But for other in-app items, notifyFulfillment with UNAVAILABLE will set the receipt status as "cancelled". This will allow the customer to buy the in-app item again.

Q1: Is it ok to notify with UNAVAILABLE in this case, or should I be doing something else?
A1: You can do this for in-app items other than the Subscription.

Q2: If that is ok to do, will the user be charged when I notifyFulfillment with UNAVAILABLE?
A2: Users will be charged during the purchase before we get the notifyFulfillment. They have to contact Amazon Customer Service (http://www.amazon.com/customerservice) to get the refunds.

Q3: When testing with sandbox, after notifying with UNAVAILABLE, if I try to purchase the subscription again, I am told I am already subscribed. Is that normal behaviour? Personally, I would expect for the user to be allowed to retry the purchase since it failed last time.
A3: Yes. Subscriptions cannot be cancelled. notify with UNAVAILABLE will not change the subscription status.

Q4: If my assumptions are wrong, what is supposed to happen if we fail to verify the purchase and cannot deliver the content?

A4: Please do retry to verify the purchase. If not, then notify with UNAVAILABLE. But this will not revoke the purchase of subscriptions. So you can verify later or when the customer reopens the app.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.